Friday, February 15, 2013

The Piano

In certain movies, there is a piano. Someone usually plays that piano in the movie and when they do, the piano sings and the player's fingers glide across the keys. I have been playing the piano for about four years now and sometimes learning the art is a challenge. Although, practicing music calms me in a way that nothing else can. The music that comes from the instrument seems to have a life of its own. I enjoy being the one who makes it live.

I am not going to lie; playing the piano is a ton of work. I practice for 30 minutes a day, and I have most definitely not acquired the skills that I want to have. In the beginning playing was easy, but as I progressed, the music became a new language. The notes were either dangerously low or high above the staff, the treble and bass clefs. Becoming the pianist I want to be will not be an easy task. I have so much further to go in my lessons and I am sure playing will only become even more trying.

I have played many pieces of music in my four years (going on five). I started out with different books containing very simplified versions of real pieces, scales, and chords. Now I am a lot more advanced than I used to be. Practice makes perfect! Although I am far from perfect, the pieces I play now are at least 4 to 5 pages long. The works I am currently practicing are Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Mozart's Turkish March. The first is 5 pages and the second is 6 pages long. Moonlight Sonata is a very slow song, and the Turkish March is super duper fast. I'm having a lot of fun with both.

If you have seen a piano before, you know that there are white keys and black keys. The white keys are the "natural" keys, whereas the black keys are either "sharps" or "flats." I know this probably sounds confusing, but the specifics become second nature once you get the main stuff down. The notes have a specific name. The white keys are named a, b, c, d, e, f, g and then the naming system starts all over again. As you go up the keyboard, the black keys are A sharp or #, B#, C#, D#, E#, F#, and G#. As you move down the piano, the black keys become "flat," and the names of them are A flat, B flat, C flat, D flat, F flat, and G flat. Learning the notes becomes simpler over time. 

Music is like a river; it speeds up, but then at a moments notice, slows down. Pieces can have very soft music (pp), just soft enough to be quieter (p), having a normal loudness (mf), or being louder than usual (f). Music also has crescendo's, which means the music builds volume over a series of notes. There are staccato's that makes the note abrupt and short. The symbol of a staccato is usually a dot over a note. There are lots of other things I cannot think off the top of my head, but in short, piano music is usually very complicated. 

A word of advice: DO NOT start piano lessons if the heart is not fully into the music. Playing, as I said before, is very hard work and takes a lot of patience. Contradictory to what I just said, the piano is also so much fun and when you learn how to play a song, the feeling is indescribable. The piano is an overall enjoyable instrument, and I recommend that if you want to learn, go for it!  


     

No comments:

Post a Comment